top of page



The opportunity to study, visit, or travel through the United States can be a wonderful opportunity. At the Law Offices of O'Brien Law Group we can help create those opportunities. 

Kentucky, Louisville Non-Immigrant Visas

It is our goal at O'Brien Law Group to help every deserving immigrant receive a variety of opportunities in the United States.

A non-immigrant is defined as someone who is legally entering the U.S. on a temporary status. A temporary visa allows a non-immigrant to stay in the U.S. for a specific length of time. Depending on your situation or reasoning for visiting the U.S. there are a variety of visas you may apply for in order to enter and temporarily remain in the U.S. 


The United States has a long and proud history of supporting international education and gladly welcomes foreign students and exchange visitors. Our experienced immigration attorneys in Kentucky at O'Brien Law Group can help you avoid common errors during the application process and help you obtain a student visa. 

If you desire to study as a full-time student in the U.S., you will need a student visa. The most common nonimmigrant visas are referred to as the F and M visa. In order to receive one of these visas you must meet the following criteria:

  • Be enrolled in an "academic" educational program, a language-training program, or a vocational program.

  • Your school must be approved by the Student and Exchange Visitors Program, Immigration & Customs Enforcement

  • Be enrolled as a full-time student at the institution

  • Must be proficient in English or be enrolled in courses leading to English proficiency

  • Must have sufficient funds available for self-support during the entire proposed course of study

  • Must maintain a residence abroad which you have no intention of giving up.

F-1 Student Visa:

  •  Accredited University/College

  • High School

  • Private elementary school

  • Seminary

  • Conservatory 

  • Enrolled within a program/course of study that culminates in a degree, diploma, or certificate

M-1 Student Visa:

  • Vocational

  • Other recognized nonacademic institution other than a language training program

  • Technical School

J-1  Visa (Exchange Visitors):

For those who intend to participate in an approved program for the purpose of teaching, instructing, lecturing, studying, observing, conducting research, consulting, demonstrating special skills, receiving training, or to receive graduate medical education or training. 

  • Professors, Scholars, Teachers

  • Research assistants

  • Students

  • Trainees

  • Specialists

  • Nannies/Au Pair Program

  • Camp Counselors

H-3  Visa:

Individuals who have been invited  by an individual or organization for the purpose of receiving training not available in the foreign national's home country. This visa also applies to Special Education Exchange visitors who participate in a program that provides practical training and experience in the education of children with physical, mental or emotional disabilities. 


"I Want to visit my family in Louisville, Kentucky!". Whether you are just wanting to visit your family in Louisville, Lexington, Owensboro, Indiana, or anywhere else in the U.S. our Kentucky lawyers Rusty O'Brien and Adrienne Pfendt can help you with your visit. 

B-1 Visa (Business)

  •  Consult with business associates

  • Attend a scientiffic, educational, professional, or business convention or conference

  • Settle an estate

  • Negotiate a contract

B-2 Visa (Tourism)

  •  Tourism

  • Vacation/Holiday

  • Visit friends or relatives

  • Medical treatment

  • Participation in social event 

  • Participation by amateurs in musical, sports, or similar events/contests, if not being paid

Louisville, Kentucky Lawyers Rusty O'Brien and Adrienne Pfendt have years of experience with Student Visas (F1, M1, J1, H3) and Visitor Visas (B-1, B-2). At the O'Brien Law Group we can help you navigate the complex application process and help you avoid errors that may result in your application being denied. Whether this is your first time applying for a student or visitor visa or you've been denied contact our office.

Do you have questions about non immigrant visas? Let our experienced visitor and student visa attorneys in Louisville help. Contact our office in Louisville to BEGIN. 

Immigration Lawyers Serving Kentucky

or call 


Serving Louisville, Lexington, Owensboro And All Of Kentucky

bottom of page